Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tea for Two... Hundred and Forty

Well, we all know England is tea country, right? I had my first 'cream tea' Saturday (October 23) in London at an Italian restaurant of all places... It seemed a little bit strange to me to find it on the menu, and yet, this is the land of tea... so perhaps it's not all that strange.


In case you are not as into tea as me, here's a little lesson, thanks to Wikepedia...


"There are regional variations as to how a cream tea should preferably be eaten. The Devonshire (or Devon) method is to split the scone in two, cover each half with clotted cream, and then add strawberry jam on top. Traditionally it is important that the scones be warm (ideally, freshly baked), and that clotted (rather than whipped) cream and strawberry jam, rather than any other variety, are used. Butter is generally not included, and the tea should be served with milk.


Clotted cream (sometimes called clouted cream or Devonshire cream) is a thick cream made by indirectly heating full-cream cow's milk using steam or a water bath and then leaving it in shallow pans to cool slowly. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots' or 'clouts'. It forms an essential part of a cream tea. Although its origin is uncertain, the cream's production is commonly associated with dairy farms in South West England and in particular the counties of Cornwall and Devon."


It was lovely. Italian restaurant and all. I mean... I was in London. L-O-N-D-O-N! How could it not be?


Monday I was at the grocery store for the first time since I got here and found my two favorite English Teas that I get back in VT! PG Tips and Yorkshire Gold... except that they were the hugest boxes of tea (of any kind) that I have ever seen!! Not a puny little box of 40 teabags. Oh no. Try 240 teabags. This is my kind of place!

4 comments:

  1. someone just asked how to post a comment?
    i'm not sure, so i'm trying it for myself... click on comments-write in the box and click on post comment below? thats what i'm trying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - glad to hear your enjoying yourself.

    Been having a lot of tea over here in New England. It got very cold today. Miss ya love SIta

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your having such a jolly good time!
    Enjoy every cup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, always surprising us with new adventures. Your "Great Adventure. . . sounds pretty awesome. We will check back on your blog to see what's next! Have a cup of tea on us!
    Mike and Jean

    ReplyDelete