Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mike

I met Mike on the same day I met John Waller for the first time way back on November 4th.

Just over 3 months now... wow.

Time flies when you're having fun!

That day we all were pressing apples in the morning and then cutting Hazel in Bushy Wood for the afternoon.

I've had the honor of working with Mike quite a few times up to this point and he was part of the tree felling crew on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Mike has been volunteering at Bore Place and working with John now for something like 10 years and has taken many if not all of JW's workshops-so, he knows the ins and outs of what John does pretty thoroughly. He also holds quite a wealth of knowledge on quite a few other things as well!

On Monday the 16th, John came to work with a pair of Pheasants that someone had given him. After lunch that day, Mike showed us how to pluck the feathers and I pretty much got to do the male bird all by myself!

This video was shot by Romain and I wish I wasn't yapping away in the background asking if he'd send it to me!

Bet he does too.

Sorry Romain, but thanks!!

Regardless, you can catch a little bit of what Mike is saying (about the gunshot) and you can see just how beautiful Pheasants are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BS3RJwI0Eo&feature=youtu.be

(Before I forget. That guy with the red hair and beard in the video background is Nick, my Bushy Wood coppicing buddy! That's the only shot of him I have!)

Mike said you should be able to pluck an entire pheasant in about 45 minutes... I think it took me nearly twice that. I asked about what I'd heard about "dipping" them in boiling water and he said it is unecessary and makes for a messy job. Instead, the critical thing is to be sure to hold the birds skin down taunt while plucking to prevent the skin from tearing. The small, downy, keep them warm feathers come out with only a slight tug. The tougher feathers take a little more force but come out surprisingly easy if you are holding the skin and pulling in the direction the feather is growing.

I was in awe of how truly beautiful that bird was... and also at the intricate, symetrical pattern that the feathers grow. Mind boggling, really.

Later, Mike showed us all how to remove the guts which was again quite interesting if not a little bloody and just a little stinky too. You attempt to cut around the anus and use a string to tie it off before you pull everything out, which keeps all the poo inside. Mike thought the intestine might have been nicked, which made it a little stinky. The female was less bloody (she had less shot in her) and not stinky at all.

Probably not something i'll ever do again myself, but, it was quite an interesting lesson just the same and an experience I am happy to have shared.

It was also a good lesson in being "connected" to your food. I found myself giving thanks for the pheasant as I was plucking him and being mindful that he died to become food that would nourish my body (our bodies), because Mike was going to make his famous Woodsmans Stew for our lunch on Wednesday.

That's what I call it, I'm not sure if that is the real name or not!

I kept a tail feather to remember it all by...


 not sure the picture really shows just how beautiful it is.

Mike also makes whistles out of Hazel, and sells them when he goes to shows with John. He made one for me!! It is beautiful and something you can bet I will treasure always. This is it...


on a raw hide string so I can wear it around my neck. It has a beautiful sound. Crisp and clear. Perfect for calling everyone together for tea!

Mike really loves to do campfire cooking and I was blessed to have three meals in the woods prepared by him.

The first was the Woodsmans Stew with dumplings, at Fern Hill. In addition to the stew we had a jacket potato (wrapped in foil and baked in the big fire!) And grated cheese for the top. It was all. SO. Delicious.

Romain brought us scones, clotted cream and jam for a real cream tea for dessert... yummy! We ended up having it later for tea because we were all full from the stew!

Then, that meal was barely done and over with, when someone said something about "haggis" and they were all oohing and aahing over it and talked about it for days.. well, a week to be exact. I asked once what it was and didn't really get an answer. I sort of thought it must be some kind of drink with alcohol in it, and they knew I didn't drink, so, I just kind of dropped it.

The following Wednesday, January 25th was a traditional Scottish holiday called "Burns Day" which commemorates the birth of famous Scottish poet, Robert Burns.

You can read a bit about it on the Wikepedia site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_supper#Host.27s_welcoming_speech

Haggis is the traditional meal for burns day, and Mike went all out in preparing that for us all... haggis, jacket potatoe's again, mashed turnip, gravy and chocolate cake for dessert. (Thanks to Mike's wife Judy!)

Mike serving up the food

This is Mike reciting the traditional speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF6J45s2rPg

It was delicious and fun even without the whiskey part.

And. Finally. To celebrate our last day in the woods, Friday, January 27th, our own personal chef made us another scrumptious meal. They just kept getting better and better and better.

Our last meal was steamed mussels in some kind of oh my gosh good creamy sauce with jacket potatoes, again (dug out of the fire by our fearless leader, and potatoe retriever, John Waller)
John retrieving the potatoes - remind me again... why are you wearing th hardhat?

but none the worse for the wear...

Romain and Mike

Because Mike has worked with John for so many years, he knows what to look for in trees... as in, what parts can be used for what etc. So, when John was getting ready to fell that Big, Big, Big tree, Mike suggested that we/they should harvest as many "pegs" for "layering", as possible from the upper branches before they made it to the fire. From what I have read oak pegs are sturdier and don't split when they are hammered into the ground.

So. After the tree was felled, he gave me a demo and then he and Nigel went about processing the branches to make pegs... and the general clearing away continued!

Here it is:

Look at them with their billhooks! I am still impressed with how easy they all make that look!

So. Now you've met Mike!

Thanks Mike, for all the delicious meals, my beautiful whistle and all the incredible bits of knowledge and wisdom you have shared with me along the way!

You will not be forgotten-
bon appetite!
susie

No comments:

Post a Comment