Sunday, December 11, 2011

Wednesday, November 30 (Part 2)

Alrighty. So, I had passed by a place on my way to the hotel Monday. It was closed, but, one glance in the window and I knew I was going there one way or another before I left town. The front window was overflowing with teapots, big ones, little ones, some with roses on them, some shaped like flowers, houses, round ones, square ones... You think one up and they probably had it! That was enough right there, but, just in case... there were cakes and other goodies on pedestal plates and a wonderful eclectic mix of tables and chairs and lighting fixtures. It had my name written all over it, except for the fact that it was called "Juliets". Fitting then, that the line, "Romeo, Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo?" played over and over in my head for the next two days...and even now.

Romeo, where are you? Indeed.

I intended to go for lunch, and did, but there was quite a que (line) and so I decided to grab a sandwich elsewhere and come back to Juliets later for a pot of tea before I caught the train out. And that's what I did.

It proved to be one very special experience! There were several empty tables when I came back. I chose one way at the back and in the corner, where I could enjoy my tea and do some people watching. I ordered a pot of tea and was delighted to get a pot that looked like a little brick English cottage china shop and a mismatched cup and saucer, with yellow and red roses and rosebuds. Red. Roses. My faves.

my mismatched tea service. beauteous.
Before long, a guy sat at the table in the opposite corner and immediately pulled out his cell phone, clearly there would be no interaction there...  soon after a couple took the table directly next to me.  Because my chair was wedged in between the wall and the table I was sitting sideways facing the couple. So, while I tried not to eavesdrop too much or pay too much attention to them, really, I couldn't help it. They had a little book that they were looking at, and seemed very engaged in conversation about it. First, the woman was looking at it, but her back was mostly to me, so I couldn't really see it very well. When they finished their food, the guy took the book and now I could see it pretty well, it was a book about Paris and in the center was a sort of pop up map and the edges were kind of zig-zaggy. "Hmmm, that's pretty unique" I thought. Then a funny thing happened...

First, let me ask you... do you remember those folded paper games from when we were kids? Check it out here :http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/fortune_teller.htm.

Okay, so, now you know what I'm talking about. Well, the guy, opened the book to that pointy edged map and started opening and closing the book and counting, like it was one of those folded paper games.

Even now, a couple weeks later, as I write this post, I find myself chuckling just thinking bout it!

I recognized right away exactly what he was mimicking and, oh my gosh, did that ever strike me as funny. He didn't just do it once, the woman picked right up on it too and they were laughing to themselves. Well, I just could not contain myself, it tickled me so, I burst right out laughing- the guy noticed me laughing, which made him laugh more which made his partner laugh and she turned around and we laughed together, me, apologizing for carrying on so, and imposing on their moment. They noticed my "accent" and asked where I was from, and we were off...

Pat and Terry joined me at my table and we spent the next hour or so engaged in the most delightful conversation together. They live in London and were visiting the Tunbridge Wells area, Terry's old stomping ground, in honor of Pats birthday. (Hope you had a wonderful Birthday Pat!!) They gave me lots of pointers on places to see for free in London and where to eat very economically, ie... The Crypt(http://www.sjss.org.uk/pages/Restaurant/restaurant.htm). And I was writing as much down as I could. Pat even suggested that they would happily be my 'London tour guides' sometime, and she and I exchanged telephone numbers. Terry gave me the assignment of picking up a DK travel guide for London (and something else too that I can't remember right now... but, I wrote it down!)

The time passed quickly, and before we knew it, it had grown dark outside. That meant it was high time for me to make my way to the train station and begin my 3 hour trek back to Henley-on-Thames. They too needed to get on with their afternoon. So. For the second time that day I found myself saying goodbye to new aquaintances.

I marvel at the ease with which I can connect with people sometimes. Often, that connection lasts for just that particular moment in time, but I enjoy the person and appreciate the "moment", none-the-less. Just as often, though, the crossing of paths with someone that might seem random, coincidental, almost irrelevant even, turns out to be so very much more. I really love that about life, in general and my life in particular.

What absolutely lovely people I got to spend Wednesday with.  I look forward to reconnecting with Sue, Pat and Terry in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment