Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Wonderful World of Willow Weaving

5 am alarm...
5.15 wake up call, just in case... but I was awake.

I was shooting for the train at 7.40 which would put me in Penshurst at 8.07 after a switch in Tonbridge. Quick check of my back pack to make sure I had all my rain gear, extra socks, work gloves, mittens, baseball cap, winter hat... notebook, and camera? Check. I was out the door at 6.55 and on my way. Halfway to the train station I realized I had forgotten my lunch bag that I had packed at home the day before: cottage cheese, organic bean and sunflower seed sprouts and an orange.

Dog-gone it. I was looking forward to that too, but, I wasn't going to go back after it. I had left it hanging on my window, the coldest place in my room.

A stop at the corner store for a sandwich and bottle of water and I was once again on my way.

Arrived at the train station about 7.15. Got my return ticket (remember that's a 2 way?!) and found out the train was in fact leaving at 7.20 not 7.40 like the website had said the day before. Guy said platform 1 right at the bottom of the stairs. When I got down there the rail person said it was actually the train already loading on the other platform, on the other side!

Yikes! So, up the stairs, over the walkway and down the other side. I wasn't running but I was walking very, very fast. Got on the train and it was off before I could find a seat! That was a close one!

John was there at the Penshurst station to collect me at 8.07and we headed off to Bore Place to load up the truck. That accomplished we headed to the little village where we would be be meeting Nigel and installing the new willow play structure. Nigel did an internship with John last year while he was in school and now helps out part-time.

On the way to our destination, we were traveling on a country road through some amazingly beautiful English countryside and off in the distance I could see a castle... yes, that is what I said, a castle!!!

Oh my gosh!!! It was so exciting!!! I mean yes, I'm in England and they pretty much dot the landscape here. It's just that this was my very first one! So, where are the pictures? I know. Well, where is my camera when I need it. Honestly. I could easily have it with me armed and ready to shoot nearly every single minute. At that particular moment it was packed away in my backpack and wedged down there between my feet and Burt the dog. I  was too busy looking and wowing to be digging around for a camera! Check it out, it is called Penshurst Place. http://www.penshurstplace.com/

Nigel was there waiting for us when we arrived. We said our hellos, met with the client, figured out the location and form the structure would take and got started.

The structure will consist of a central domed area with two lower tunnels entering from opposite sides. Pretty much just going to post the pictures and let you see for yourself the process throughout the course of the day... so, here goes!


Nigel marking out the diameter of the dome.

Once the dome is marked out, the sod is cut and turned over a on either side of that line.

Nigel making the holes to plant the willow in. He is just using a massively heavy iron rod and brute force. I used a much shorter iron rod and a sledge hammer to make mine. Also in this pic, John is getting the first 2 pieces of willow in the ground and forming the entrance into the dome from one of the tunnels.


John is working on joining together two of the domes central structural pieces.


The first set of dome willow "rods" all in the ground.

Nigel working on "heeling in" the willow... a task completed using a combination of tools and the plain old heel of our boots. John is using biodegradable string to tie the willow together... I learned my first fancy knot... a clove hitch.

Nigel working on the willow planting holes on one tunnel... you can see that the tunnel has a curve to it. On the other side, John is cutting and turning the sod for that entrance tunnel.

No, I didn't spend my entire day just taking pictures, I did actually do work as well!

Next up on the main dome... a series of holes in between each planted rod. Another series of willow rods will be planted at right angles to the first. This is the first set, planted and woven together.

Nigel's tunnel coming along... I was working on the other tunnel... (more or less!)

I don't know why this pic is sideways! John has both sets of the dome rods planted, woven and tied off.
"My" tunnel, phase one complete. Next up. A hole in between each already planted rod and more willow!

... a shot of the completed pattern!

Bark mulch laid and 3 log stools set in place... what a beautiful completed structure with
yours truly standing next to the tunnel I worked on most!!

It was a bit windy which made it a little chilly, but, still I only needed a flannel shirt most of the day... It started to rain the last hour or so, but not too heavily. Enough to warrant putting on the raincoat and stuff my knapsack in the truck.

It was about 4.15 when I got dropped at the station... I had quite a wait for the next train, theoretically due in at 4.45. There is a covered shelter but it was raining and the wind was blowing it directly in on me, and there was no getting away from it. It was dark, I was the lone person there, and the train was late... very late. It was not exactly one of the best times I've had since I've been here. And yes, my imagination did sort of run away with me there for awhile in a not so great direction...pondering the "what ifs". Finally, at about 5.10 I caught a glimpse of the train headlight(s) at a distance, coming ever so slowly in my direction and bringing me back to a better reality.

Finding a hot meal once I made it back to Tunbridge Wells was a bit of a challenge. I was wet and very muddy from the knees down, and wondered during the 1/2 mile walk from the train back to the hotel if I should go change first and then find food. I stopped at the pub next to The Pantiles Hotel... and they were not serving food, only drinks. The Woods restaurant on the other side was closed. Oh brother. I walked about halfway back to the train station to the Tunbridge Pub and Grill. They were open, but I could tell that it was more of a fancy place and I was so far from that it wasn't funny. I asked the hostess if I was too much of a mess and she said no, come along in. Thankfully. The meal was warm and delicious and really hit the spot. It was an early to bed night for me Tuesday night.













No comments:

Post a Comment